The phone connects to the computer by default in a "media mode". This provides the least impact to the operating system and running applications. Unfortunately, it's dreadfully slow. If you're going to be transferring large files or a large number of files, it can be much faster to connect the phone as a storage device.
- From the home screen, go to your Settings menu.
- Click More... in the Wireless and network section at the top.
- Click Usb utilities.
- With the phone unplugged, click the button Connect storage to PC.
- Now connect the cable from the computer to the phone.
- The phone will now connect like a storage device instead of connecting as a MTP device
This guide is specifically for the Samsung Captivate Glide SGH-i927 running ICS 4.0.4 base version I927UCLJ3 but may be true for other phones and versions.